Sunday, February 03, 2008

Nice Egg Hat.

Rotture. I hate this venue. It has so much damn potential. The second floor of an old industrial/warehouse site, with amazing brick walls and steel I-beams. A lovely deck overlooking the river and downtown. It could be so fucking great. But instead, it's one of the few music venues in town that still allows smoking. I was impressed at first with how many smokers were trained well, and went out to the deck to smoke though they didn't have to, but after a while they all got lazy. It's stuffed full of weird-ass ugly creepy people. And every surface is covered with sharpie graffiti tags. Not graffiti art, not something the venue has invited or commissioned, just the pissing-on-a-fire-hydrant territory-marking shit. The atmosphere just seems so ugly, reeking of cloves and permanent marker, like shitty-ass places I could have hung out when I was seventeen but chose not to, for the most part. The crowd was so utterly strange, all sorts of sundresses, furs, and boots (I get the furs and boots, though if I owned an interesting fur, I wouldn't wear it to a stinky shithole like that...but sundresses? I counted 15 before I lost count, and damn, it's cold for Portland tonight, 30 degrees and the threat of snow), but also snaggle-toothed dingy people in ill-fitting, grimy hoodies drinking Hamm's (did you know Hamm's still existed? I sure didn't.). And if you wear your bluetooth headset to a bar? You're an absolute tool. And then if you make me move from my seat so you can play pinball, then take over my seat when you're done...what's a few steps beyond absolute tool?

And the worst part, "Show at 9" meant doors, not show. Most of the other venues in town have finally gotten a system down, where they'll either say "doors at...show at" or "show at" and that's when the first band takes the stage. Rotture hasn't gotten the memo. So I sat there for a good 45 minutes before the music started, listening to (well, feeling as much as hearing) the incredibly loud vibrating dance music bass coming from downstairs. Luckily, it didn't bleed to the front of the room by the stage. This was at least interesting...while I was sitting and waiting, an already-drunk couple addressed me, she in a sundress and he in a black-and-white checkerboard boot-length fake fur (Prince? Or a '90's club kid? Who knows...) and she told me I was gorgeous, and he said something that sounded like "I like your egg hat!" I wasn't wearing a hat, or eggs of any kind, much less an egg hat. It wasn't 'til an hour later that I realized that he must have said "I like your necklace." I so rarely wear extra jewelry that this just didn't occur to me. (I was wearing a cheap plastic cameo that I bought at Target for $3.94...never ever has $3.94 bought me as many compliments as this little crappy piece of plastic and beads--someone even once pretentiously asked me if it was Wedgewood.)

So it's pretty impressive, in such a dismal venue, that tonight's show made me so crazy happy. Portland incest of the highest degree--Nick Jaina (with Nathan Langston in his band, as well as six other people from eight or ten other bands), followed by Dat'r (the two other people in the Binary Dolls with Nick), then The Maybe Happening (Nathan Langston's band, playing their CD release party for a CD Nick produced, and Nick and three or four other people who were in his band supported them onstage). Was Nathan trying to reunite Nick and the Dat'r boys, get Binary Dolls working together again? Will it work? Please, please, please?

Nick Jaina first. Lately, every time I've seen him, he's had eight people on stage. I've said it before, but...this is his solo project? Nick on vox and guitar, Ali on backup vox/clarinet/accordion, Nathan on violin and shouting (and conducting the audience into shouting along), plus guitar, upright bass, vibes/percussion, trumpet/bass clarinet, and drums. Great show, high energy from beginning to end, but not a single song from the new disc. Marvelously dark and dynamic, though, truly awesome. I say this over and over, but every time, the songs are different. One intro had me thinking they were about to launch into a U2 cover (where the streets have no name, maybe?) before it became something familiar (Red Queen, I think, though it may have been a different one). Just imagine having so many songs in you that you can lead two bands, play songs from one of them, play nothing off your new album, and still have new songs to play.

Dat'r...well, there are about three bands out there that can induce me to do something approximating dancing. They're one of them. You can still see the hipstergeek head-bob-foot-tap underneath, but superficially, it's almost like dancing! There was one guy who really did know how to dance, almost b-boy-like, but he stayed on his feet, no handstands or backspins. So I don't know what to call him. But he was fun to watch. Nick Jaina even waggled his skinny hips for three or four seconds...who knew he had it in him?

And then The Maybe Happening. They're usually three guys, but tonight they had as many as eight people on stage. Nick joined them and played bass (like rawk-god bass, no less), random percussion, and keyboard, and he actually grinned and looked like he was having a shit-ton of fun. He's usually so damn serious, so it was really awesome to watch him grin and laugh, not just once or a little, but like crazy. Nathan, as always, was buoyantly wild and nuts, and played his violin like a rock guitar, like I always got in trouble for in the high-school orchestra (no, I wasn't pogo-ing up and down and screaming darling lyrics, but whenever Ms. Director was talking, and I was going over the hard parts pizzicato with the instrument tucked under my arm, I got yelled at). This band has so ridiculously much going on. The couple in front of me managed to combine pogo-moshing and the twist at one point...and that was the perfect set of moves for this band. I heard math metal, doo-wop, ska (this usually isn't there, but they had a horn section tonight), early Pavement with maybe a little very early Weezer thrown in, early punk-ass Modest Mouse (especially in the screamy vocals over orchestral-instruments-gone-wild), and a billion other things. I even had a little almost-dancing left in me after Dat'r.

And then I snagged a poster and went home. Where the reality of the Johan trade crashed down on me once again, but at least I had pretty-blond-bowler to chat with about the show, and of course, you all, my imagined audience, to talk to.

No comments: