Sunday, June 08, 2008

Shhhhh! Or the Band That Almost Was.

First of all, this wasn't even my first-choice show. I intended to go out to Holocene for their 5th Anniversary show, free, with a ton of awesomeness including The Shaky Hands, Starfucker (the real reason I wanted to go, having seen them only-sorta once), Horsefeathers, and two DJs. Show at 9, I got there at 9:20, even the DJs hadn't started yet, and it was over capacity. The bouncers told us to give up hope and go elsewhere. Damnit.

I headed six blocks north to the "I totally would have planned to go to this show, but it conflicted with the other one" Matt Sheehy show. Pwrful Power opened, and I got there near the end of his set. A squeaky Japanese-by-way-of-Seattle deliberately-broken-english hilarious folk crooner with lyrics like "You're not really all that attractive, but I have a feeling we're meant to be together". The crowd was laughing awkwardly, like they knew they weren't supposed to be laughing out loud at an indie-folk-rock show at the Doug Fir, but they couldn't help themselves. Good stuff. Perfect opening band, fun and interesting but not something you would spend money to ensconce in your itunes lineup.

They were followed by The Brothers Young (or maybe The Young Brothers). Seven guys onstage without anyone leading the charge. The lyrics were pointless cliches. The hats made me think they'd been taking their fashion advice from Justin Timberlake. But the music had its moments, especially those moments it sounded like The Jam from early-'80's London. The throwback-to-proto-shoegazer bits were pretty stellar. But overall, they just didn't have a creative driving force. This band just needs to trade three or four mediocre middle infielders for a toolsy power hitter. (ETA: Turns out they're all related to someone-else Young, who heads Loch Lomond, and has played with them in the past. I guess they lost their toolsy guy to free agency.)

Matt Sheehy was pretty great. He had the dark-folk creepy-leaning vibe of John Vanderslice, but he sounded live like Vanderslice sounds recorded, so I imagine that Sheehy recorded is more polished and folky than what we heard. He had his rhythm-section-laden bits, but he did a set of three or four songs where the whole band sat on the stage floor in a circle with the lights off, too. During the midst of this set, I finally got off my perch and asked the bachelorette party behind me if, since they paid the cover to show up at a folk musician's show, they could respectfully keep it down. I was at my absolute most tactful and convincing, and for fuck's sake, convincing people of stuff is what I do for a living. The answer was that they each paid their seven bucks cover, and they could do what they wanted, fuck you. One of them walked by me a few minutes later and stopped to make grabbing motions with her fingers in my face while bitching (seriously, you need to come confront me after I've long since dropped the issue?), until finally I grabbed her wrist. ("Oh, oh, don't touch me!" Then keep your fingers out of the couple of inches in front of my eyes.) For crying out fucking loud, take your bachelorette party back to the nasty suburb you came from. I got a sympathetic look from the sound guy, but sadly, that's all the backup I got (I had three other patrons of the club on my side, but not any authority other than the "sorry it sucks" look when I mouthed "can you do anything about these people" to the sound guy).

How much does it suck that this is what I remember as much as or more than the music? I mean, holy hell, I'm 33 years old, and I have never in my life been in a bar fight. I really don't think this is my fault, and I want my seven dollars back.

No comments: